Saturday, December 21, 2013

What I Have Learned



What I Have Learned
One of my most passionate hopes when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that we as educators would ensure that they have a value system. This is a value system that will nurture all “children’s healthy identity and their positive attitudes towards others” (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010, p.7). It is a value system that will “pay attention to the realities of children’s lives” (2010, p.7) and “build strong relationships with the staff as well as families” (2010, p.9). From both these ideas, it is my firm belief that when my children and their families recognize that I genuinely care and value them as people, they will thrive and develop. I am positive too that they will have a different mindset towards education, themselves and others.  
In light of the early childhood field, one goal that I would set for issues relating to diversity, equity, and social justice is the idea of not allowing oneself to be a victim of any circumstances. No child or family should be caught up in this mindset because they will start making excuses for what they could or could not achieve because of their circumstances. It was Dr. Benjamin Carson, M.D. Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery, at the John Hopkins Hospital who ignited this idea as I listened to his speech at the Fellowship Foundation National Prayer Breakfast on the following website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdQK9sLdYvs . I have taken to heart from his speech the beautiful thought that our children need to see the connecting thread between who they are and what they can accomplish. When they can see this, they will not allow themselves to be “victims, nor will they make excuses, but they will start looking for solutions to their problems” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdQK9sLdYvs. It is therefore my responsibility as an anti-bias educator, to give all children this hope, that regardless of diversity, inequity or any form of injustice, they all can be liberated and realize their full potential as members of the human race.
At this point, I wish to thank all my colleagues and Dr. Klein for their input in how much I have learnt from this course.  I hope that my colleagues will have the time to visit the website to listen to the speech of Dr. Carson. He had some interesting points on the education system that we could utilize as educators.
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children
and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).


2 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    Thank you for your blog post! I love your goal about valuing children and families and working to help others help themselves!

    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always learn so much from you and what you write, whether it is a blog or discussion post. Your passion for the field and children and families will carry you far into the future. Good luck in all you pursue and let the path lead you to where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete