Saturday, September 28, 2013

Evaluating Communication



Evaluating Communication
This week’s assignment has added some very important revelation about who I am as a communicator. On completion of the three assessments, I was surprised that my colleague and family members were in total agreement with the results of my own evaluation.
Overall my colleague and family members think that communication does not seem to be something I worry a great deal about because I seem to maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints. However, despite this flexibility in balancing communication without being too aggressive, they believe that this may work against me. Why? This is so because they believe that I need to balance my empathetic nature with getting all the details/information before making decisions to trust people wholeheartedly. I have often thought that it was important to give people the benefit of the doubt in building relationships. I do not believe that I am going to change being empathetic or people oriented. Yet I will use the following two insights very carefully to advance my communication skills. Firstly, I will ensure that there are no “potential barriers” blocking my communication channel, including any “narrow perspectives and stereotyping” of people (O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012, p.44). Secondly, I will also seek to use “the appropriate level of self-monitoring for the situation and the people involved in being a successful communicator. By doing this, I can effectively strike the balance for proper judgment (O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012, p.56). I would also like to leave the following quotes that I have found useful for my effective communication:

Jim Rohn quotes (American Speaker and Author. He is famous for motivational audio programs for Business and Life.
Anthony Robbins quotes (American advisor to leaders).
References
Communication quotes. (1999-2013). Retrieved from http://thinkexist.com/quotes/with/keyword/communication/.com

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.



2 comments:

  1. I love the quote you posted about taking advantage of every opportunity we have to practice our abilities to strengthen our communication skills. I believe that the more we do it, the more effective we become at it. After all, practice makes perfect! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dionna. You have said it perfectly!
    Sharon .

    ReplyDelete