Saturday, September 21, 2013

Communicating Effectively



Communicating Effectively
There are several aspects that make our culture and it never ceases to amaze me how diverse we are in the way we look at and do things. For me, I find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. This has to be so, because as O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012, p.4) points out, "communication is a complex and dynamic process." It is “the process by which individuals use symbols, signs, and behaviors to exchange information” (2012, p.4). It is this complexity in communication that forms the basis for clearer understanding between individuals from diverse cultural background.  Thus, I find that I do not initiate discussions on religion, political affiliations sexual orientations, body types or race outside of family or good friends. I have made this commitment from a very early age, because these issues are personal and sensitive and can result in the breakdown of communication to the point where it damages relationships forever.
 With regard to my fellow co-workers/colleagues, teachers /professors, my communication with them is largely influenced by my cultural background. We were trained or socialized to say “yes/no ma’am or sir.” This kind of communication address is seen as respectful and is not dependent on whether you like or dislike the individual. Hence, the language used in these circumstances will be more formal, precise and even more sophisticated.   With my special friends and family members our communication techniques will vary. Our body language will be more relaxed and we even switched our manner of speaking using our Creole or Patois (pronounced Pat’wah) to emit laughter and to humor serious situations.
Based on what I have learnt this week, I would like to put forward the following three strategies for effective communication with people of groups:
Firstly, we need to be respectful. Learning to be respectful is helpful in understanding and embracing others not only with different point of view but others from different cultural backgrounds.
Secondly, we need to be sensitive. Sensitivity awareness will help others to be relaxed and feel more comfortable to communicate in whatever setting, whether in the classroom or in a staff meeting /and or parent conference.
Thirdly, though not finally, we need to be tactful. According to O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012, p.17), “a successful communicator needs to develop the ability to determine what is appropriate and what is not in a variety of cultural situations” (2012, p.17). This will help us tocreate and maintain mature interpersonal relationships, whether professional or personal” states, C.  (n. d.)
References
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.






3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,
    Your three points are important in communicating effectively with all people. Engaging in respectful conservation is very important when communicating with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    You listed excellent communicating strategies! I believe that giving respect, showing sensitivity, and being tactful are influential components that make communicating effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tunyia and Dionna for visiting my blog.I am also happy to know that the strategies that I put forward were found effective. I too believe in them and I am making them a part of my daily life.
    Sharon Munroe.

    ReplyDelete