Saturday, October 12, 2013

Group Adjournment



I have found that working in groups can be both a thrilling and daunting experience. At the very onset of the group development, each person seem to be “unsure how to act around each other,” (O'Hair, & Wiemann, 2012). But as the group members continue to pool resources and build trust, the group changes significantly. Once the goals are clearly established and the leader has emerged, the “group identity grows stronger as members begin to realize the importance of their roles within the group” (O'Hair, & Wiemann, 2012, p.257). As the fervor for working together escalates, it becomes very difficult to adjourn the group. I find that high- performing groups are the hardest to leave. This is so, because all the group members understand the proverbial “blood sweat and tears” and sleepless nights that were put into making ‘the project’ a success.
The group that I participated in that was the hardest to leave was the School Improvement Council (SIC) at the High School where I taught in South Carolina (2007-2009). As a member of that council, I participated in analyzing student performances, created statistical reports, and collaborated with other committee members to develop strategies to improve students’ performance in English Language Arts. I also authored the Pacing Guides for (ELA) for 9th grade classes. These guides played an integral part in the school's accreditation success with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). At the end of my two year tenure, I was saddened by the fact that I had to leave. It was this group that helped to nurture me in understanding and accepting diversity. Coming from a different cultural background, I was given a great deal of privilege and freedom to communicate with everyone without feeling intimidated. Many of our students did well overall and we were able to instill a love of learning in others who were making their decisions to go to college. Many parents too were happy with the accreditation success.
             At the end of the school year we had a dinner, and I can clearly remember receiving monetary bonus for my success. Additionally, I also performed one of my cultural poem pieces as a token of my appreciation for being privileged to work with such a wonderful group of team members.
            I imagine that I will be experiencing mixed feelings as I adjourn from my colleagues at Walden. It has been a very enriching and rewarding experience thus far as I collaborated, researched and communicated with my colleagues. It will not only be a happy experience to receive my Master’s degree, but it would be rewarding if “we could be provided with the opportunity to say goodbye to each other and wish each other all the best in their future endeavors”(Adubi,2010).
            I believe that adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it allows the members to put everything into context and perspective. They will be able to highlight what they have learnt and what they will take with them in their future work from the experiences they gained from each other.

References
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's

No comments:

Post a Comment