Saturday, February 8, 2014

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice



            It may be impossible to separate one’s personal self from one’s professional identity with regard to issues and thinking related to diversity. However, as we examine ourselves daily and our awareness of who we are becomes clearer, we find that the –isms that may have impacted our lives seriously soon “pale into insignificance” literally as we work to improve the lives of our children and their families. According to (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010) “Isms are expressed in laws, in organizational policies, and in regulations, as well as in the thinking and actions of people who carry out the policies” (2010). When I examine this definition, there is no way I am going to sit back and allow the “covert or overt” messages received about by my skin color or the class that I may have been placed in by society influence the vow I have taken to help my children and their families to emancipate themselves from poverty, classism or any other isms.
As I look back in my life on the impact of classism, gender, ethnicity and language barriers on Caribbean people, I realize that as an early childhood professional, I have the crucial task of 1) “acknowledging to [my] self [any] feelings that may arise in my heart or that I may have been taught that is hurtful or painful (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010).  I must also 2) destroy these demonic influences and free up my mind to “develop more positive attitudes and greater empathy for all children and families” (2010).
Finally, it is my firm belief as (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010) state “the more passion you have about the need for creating a world of justice  and peace for children, the more you will be able to make it a priority in your work”(2010). It is my priority, commitment, and obligation to use the negatives in my life in a positive way to empower my families and their children to make this world a better place. Hence, I have come to value more than- isms, my personal interactions and relationships with my children and families that no matter how hurtful a situation I may be passing through, I have resolved to remain respectful, calm and empathetic. I have also resolve to have “colleagues/ [friends] and families” to help me on this journey. (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010) categorically state that “when we have other people to talk with, it makes it easier to decide what [we will] keep, change or add to make our teaching more effective” (2010). Thus the consequences I expect from my children and families are respect, calmness, empathy and love as I overcome any issues in my personal life.
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children
and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).




3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    I agree that it takes a lot of mentally hard work to separate one’s personal life from their professional life. However, we do learn to separate the way we accomplish things based on the situations we are in. That is why the first five years of a child’s life is so critical to their health and neurological growth (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). Anti-bias education implements our commitment to foster the development of the whole child. It helps children to learn the basis of themselves to support a truer understanding of who they are and the world in which they live. In this way children can learn what’s fair or unfair in their social and emotional world. We plant the seed of their ideas on power and social identities, which they learn about in childhood and young adulthood (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). I always feel positive about the work we do as anti-bias educators because we help children learn about the negative and positive messages they will encounter in life. Thank you, for such a great post.

    Kathleen

    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, You mention a good point, passion is something that every teacher need to have ,love what you are doing and want the best for the children. I like your post and I think the same that we could teach with a bias curriculum to help children to live in a better world without bias, to help each others, to understand our differences, and work together for the wellbeing of the whole children.
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    I admire the view that you are taking in not letting the messages you have received from society about your skin color influence the way that you work with children and their families. I really enjoyed reading your post and feel as though I can apply much of what you have talked about into my own views of anti-bias education. I appreciate you being open about your experiences and the way that you approach working with transnational families.

    ReplyDelete